COTS and Open Source
Historically, the cost of quality machine vision systems has limited who could use them. Large manufacturers were generally the ones using the systems because they could afford the hefty price tag and cut costs on the production line without losing quality. However, advancements in sensor technology have cut costs without eliminating the quality, changing the way vision systems are utilized and developed.
Commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) camera sensors and open source software are being adapted to make large, industry-level quality vision systems available at a fraction of the cost. EmbedTek has leveraged cameras as optical sensors that are being used for data collection and real-time control, not just for their image capture functions.
Better Outcomes, Higher Accuracy
Optical sensors allow EmbedTek to collect more data and perform actions better, develop prototypes faster, and manufacture high volume end products cheaper. When combined with high-performance image processing and advanced analytics software, embedded camera systems can determine speed, improve accuracy, and select products based on shape or color. For example, camera sensors have been used to:
- Replace lasers for faster and more accurate object tracking, object feature recognition, character recognition, threat detection, and more
- Improve patient outcomes when embedded in medical devices
- Prevent unplanned downtime, saving hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on production lines
Better, Cheaper, More Affordable
By leveraging COTS camera sensors and components in conjunction with our established product line of computers and integrated displays, EmbedTek has been able to change a year-long research and development process into a six to eight-week rapid prototyping process. This solves customer design challenges faster and helps their products stay in market longer.
Better, faster, cheaper vision systems. EmbedTek can show you how to:
- Better understand when a custom camera solution makes sense
- Determine how your application could benefit from a vision system
- Harness consumer-driven technology
- Modify COTS components and open source software for embedded device control
For the complete white paper, please fill out the form below:
What we do best
We’re the experts in embedded technology. So we don’t just build to spec. Our mission is to create the platform that best serves our customer’s business. Whether we start with reducing production costs or introducing cutting edge technology, our customers always end with the competitive edge.